Corpalism

Corpalism - Arun D. Ellis Corpalism is an impressive effect. Whether you think it is a successful effort may depend on your socio-political viewpoint, but it shouldn't. Arun D, Ellis has taken events in our present such as 9/11, the Great Recession and more and puts them into his version of a near-future dystopia. It is not a future that is hard to believe. Most of the author's views (he relies on the Occupy movement ideology quite heavily) I agree with. Some, especially the 9/11 conspiracy theories, I do not agree with. His main theme involves the idea of a corporate run state which is trampling on our freedom while benefiting only the rich and powerful. As I said, not hard to believe. Ellis has so many monologues espousing this theme throughout the book that I'm tempted to call it an "Anti-Atlas Shrugged" as he is attempting the same type of ideological novel but with a 180 degree slant and in almost as many pages.

There are five parts, all written with varying degrees of success. The first part is the best and follows Terry Jones as he is relegated to a forced job and relocation in a ghetto type environment where he will spend the rest of his life working off his debts. The author has a bit of Python-esque wit throughout which help alleviate some of the eventual seriousness. We find that not everything is as it seems and that is where the tale has its nice twists and turns. The second part involves the reappearance of a missing celebrity and her new habit of telling it the way it is. Both of these segments are quite good. The third part is essentially a dialogue in a club and for me was the weakest section. Section 4 and 5 brings together the first three parts. But by now it gets a little preachy and redundant. That is the weak point in this novel. It could have easily been shorter. Also, the author adds many details to his message that it weakens the essential points. It could have used a more focused approach. Yet it is a fascinating read and does make you think about our own global situation. Whether you agree with what he says or not, I think you will admit that, overall, this is a good effort designed to both entertain and educate.