The Devil All the Time - Donald Ray Pollock Donald Ray Pollock's The Devil All The Time is a throwback to Flannery Connor's southern gothic world with equal doses of Night of The Hunter and Natural Born Killers added for good measure. While often categorized as a horror novel, the most horrific thing about Pollock's characters is how natural they are with their odd religious rationalizations and their disdain for human life. There's nothing supernatural here and it would not surprise anyone if we read about these people in the headlines of a newspaper. Pollock has created a believable world in the vicinity of Knockemstiff, Ohio of outcasts, losers and killers. This is not a place anyone would want to live but we can believe it may actually exist. While the novels centers around hard-luck coming-of-age Darvin. It spends most of the time around the evangelical spider-handling preachers Roy and his pedophiliac brother Theodore, a serial killing couple in love, and a crooked sheriff. These stories come together at the end in a way that had me exhausted and devastated by its emotion. This debut novel may be one of the best first novels I've read in a long time. With influences coming from O'Connor, David Grubb and even Faulkner, Pollock still has something to say of his own. One of the best novels of 2011.