The Strain  - Guillermo del Toro, Chuck Hogan There's one good thing ; No moon-struck adolescent girl will become infatuated with these vampires!

The Strain starts out well. It builds up nicely. There is a lot of tension and the combination CSI / Dracula themes are woven together well. But once the threat becomes known, the novel falls apart. There are too many unnecessary side trips with characters that do not enrich the plot. And the character development? What character development? These protagonists taste like cardboard and they act like cardboard. Most damaging is the fact that the authors created a tight set of rules governing how these vampires work and what can destroy them...then in one climatic scene destroys the rules. If we were playing poker I would shoot them for cheating. I could not get the idea out of my mind that the two authors were not writing a novel but a very long treatment for a movie. I plan to read the sequel, The Fall, because the first novel did involve me enough to find out what happens. However, this is a disappointing and below average vampire novel.