Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth - James M. Tabor I've always been fascinated with caves. As a child, I would beg my parents to take me to every commercial cave withing 20 miles of our travel route, much to the despair of my claustrophobic mother. I read the few layman books on spelunking that were available at the time. I even managed to go on a few organized excursions into primitive caves carrying a lantern and wearing hard hats. These, however, were still basically "walk-throughs" involving at the most a little wiggling and crawling through tight corridors. I was never able to find enough people interested in real down and dirty cave exploring so my obsession died down and I am resigned to being a armchair traveler.

Perhaps that was for the best. Blind Descent lists 52 ways you can die in a cave and they are all extremely unpleasant. The exciting book chronicles the attempt to find the lowest point on the earth and the race between two very different explorers on opposite ends of the world. The bulk of the novel concentrate on the exploration of Mexico's Cheve cave. Tabor's writing is involving and fast-paced while being quite detailed. This is an excellent book for any one who loved adventure books, science books, or travel books.