Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime - John Heilemann, Mark Halperin Here's your assignment. Find an old copy of The Making of The President 1960 by Theodore White then read Game Change by John Heilemann. Then write an essay on the dumbing down of America.

Anyone who takes me up on the assignment will instantly realize just how little we ask of the the 21st century American reader. While Making of The President is an incisive and detailed look at how the 1960 election shaped our country and the strategies and policies of the candidates, Game Change rarely rises about gossip, albeit informed gossip.

Nonetheless, Game Change is an enjoyable and sometimes even a revealing look at the people who want to run America. In that way it actually becomes a little scary. It is also much more balanced than I expected. All the candidates, except Johns Edwards who is seen as a super-sleaze, is treated with respect even when dissecting their weaknesses. There really isn't any great revelation here, unless you think knowing Obama says "Fuck" a lot is a revelation. I would recommend this book yet, as I consider the great political books about campaigns and presidents in the past, I can't help thinking "What have we become?".