Dead Religion - David Beers One of the things about young writers of horror that bother me is that they think horror has a formula. Pick a monster, throw in some scares and gore, have hero save heroine (or vice versa), and end with a shocker. Many people that don't understand horror fiction tell me that it is because it is full of cliches and not original and I am afraid that they are often right. A avid horror reader like me has to read a lot of crap to find the gems...or so it seems.

Well...here's a gem. David Beers digs into mythology a bit and finds a rich vein of horror south of the border. Ancient religion, Aztec gods and such mixed with a modern tale of suspected terrorism. I don't know if this is his first novel but, if it is, it bodes well for a new talent. If it isn't, it is still damn good. An FBI agent is sent to Mexico to investigate a hotel bombing. But the suspected terrorist, Alex Valdez, may have an unusual and terrifying reason for his actions. Beers follows the actions of both investigator and bomber and lifts the layers off of the tale superbly. Much of it. especially toward the end, has a nice Castaneda hallucinogenic feel to it. In fact, much of the fun in figuring how what is fantasy and what is reality. There's some minor issues about narration. The switch between timelines and viewpoints doesn't always run as smooth as I would have liked. But it is a nice original addition to the horror genre. Highly recommended to all horror fans. This is a writer that will only get better.