At the Earth's Core - Edgar Rice Burroughs Edgar Rice Burroughs could be called The God-father of cheesy fantasy adventure. He can boast of influencing many later fantasy writers from Robert E. Howard to even John Norman, but that is not exactly something you would want on your resume. I had a brief obsession with Tarzan when I was nine but, asides from that series, I've found Burroughs' pulp adventures to be trite and silly. At The Earth's Core is no exception. Except for a rather exciting beginning, in which our intrepid but boring heroes are plunged into the depths of the earth by a giant drill, there is little to be interested in. Burroughs could use some lessons from Verne in describing alien surroundings. Burrough's main rule in making something exotic is simply give it a weird name you can't pronounce. The writings of Burroughs are meant for entertain pre-pubescent boys until they can handle real men like James Bond, Sam Spade and those studs who gets the girls in the Heavy Metal magazines. Burroughs made a good living running these books off like candy and the quality is what you except from assembly line writing. Can't grudge him that but please don't call this a classic.

And by the way, I didn't like the book.